For many people, playing online casino games is a great way to relax, be entertained and possibly win some money in the process. Today’s slots and casino games have become as entertaining as they are rewarding with players spending hours in front of the computer. While most casinos do give players the choice of playing for free or for real money, the excitement of winning real money can be overwhelming. When it comes to online gambling, knowing when to stop is vital. In the notes below, we are going to look at the warning signs of online gambling addiction and what can be done to curb overspending.
Concerning Gambling Behaviour
When it comes to playing online or mobile casino games, there is a very fine line between gambling responsibly and going too far. For anyone with a serious gambling addition, there are warning signs and certain behavioural patterns that can be a tell-tail sign that there is a problem. If you or someone you know exhibit any of the following behaviour, it might be time to seek help.
- Avoiding work in order to play casino games
- Neglecting bills and other expenses in order to save money for gambling
- Selling personal items in order to pay for gambling debts
- Becoming abnormally occupied with gambling and online casino games
- Stealing money from family and friends
- Avoiding anyone who shows concern
- Losing a job or partner because of gambling debts
Early Warning Signs
In most cases, people with a gambling addition do not know that they have a problem or are in denial. For many people, when they do finally admit that they have a problem it can be too late. Below are a few early warning signs that could lead to problems if not nipped in the bud.
- Hiding your gambling activities from friends and loved ones
- Not being able to pull yourself away from the computer
- You find that you play until your account is empty
- You tend to spend more than you originally planned
- You keep playing even when you know you shouldn’t
Setting Limits and Control Measures
If you find that you are exhibiting behaviour that can lead to a serious gambling addition, there are steps that can be taken to curb your spending. All top-rated online casinos are committed to responsible gambling and as such offer a range of self-governing control measures that players can set up on their account. The following measures can be implemented on all online casino accounts.
- Self-exclusion facility – This is where players can set up a specific monthly limit where the casino will not allow the player to play at after a specified period of time.
- Daily time limits – Players can set a daily limit of time they want to spend at the casino each day. After their time has ended, the casino will not allow real money games.
- Weekly and Monthly limits – In addition to daily limits, players can specify how many hours they want to gamble each week or month. When this has come to an end, the casino will cut them off.
- Deposit limits – Players can set a limit on how much they will be allowed to deposit into their account each month. This restricts players to only spending what they allotted at the start.